Note: All Ordinarily Resident (OR) applicants must have the required work and/or residency permits at the time of application to be eligible for consideration. The Mission does not sponsor work permits.
Position: Administrative Assistant, PN#: C03-1510-FCS FSN-8, FP-6**
Opening date: Tuesday, December 9, 2014
Closing date: Tuesday, December 23, 2014
Work hours: Full-time; 40 hours/week
Starting Salary Range:
- Ordinarily Resident (OR): R$58.946,00 to R$73.681,00 p.a.
- Not-Ordinarily Resident (NOR): US$45,038.00 p.a.***
* This position is being advertised simultaneously with the Trainee Level, FSN-7, FP-7
** Actual grade and salary will be based on the qualifications of the applicant
The U.S. Embassy in Brasilia is seeking an individual for the position of Administrative Assistant in the Foreign Commercial Service (FCS).
Basic Function of Position
Incumbent serves as the Executive Assistant for the Minister Counselor for Commercial Affairs (MCCA) for FCS Brazil and Commercial Officers (COs) for FCS Brasília. Incumbent is responsible for the administration of the FCS Front Office functions that include managing MCCA and COs activities and program tasking; correspondence with high-level officials in USG and GOB as well as high-level executives of U.S. and Brazilian companies; and working directly with the MCCA on planning and coordinating nationwide CS programs and initiatives involving 45 staff in all five CS Brazil operating units in Brasília, São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Belo Horizonte, and Recife.
A copy of the description listing all duties and responsibilities is available in the Human Resources Office.
Items 1-5 are all required.
- Applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item. Failure to do so will result in disqualification of your application.
- Applicants are required to submit their applications or resumes in English.
A minimum of two years of college or university studies in business administration, foreign trade or in any discipline related to the social sciences or the liberal arts is required.
Experience as a bilingual executive assistant or progressively responsible experience in office management to include financial and accounting procedures is required.
3. Language (These may be tested)
- Level IV (Fluent) in speaking/reading/writing English is required
- Level IV (Fluent) in speaking/reading/writing Portuguese is required
4. Knowledge (These may be tested)
- Sound knowledge of Brazil’s social, political, commercial and diplomatic customs, and culture is required.
- Solid knowledge of office administration as well as local business practices is required.
- Commercial Service internal reporting requirements, operating procedures, and regulations is required.
- Knowledge of Brazilian Government structure and offices in Brasília and throughout the country is required.
5. Skills and Abilities (These may be tested)
- Ability to communicate effectively, tactfully, and efficiently with CEOs, businesspeople, and government officials at the highest levels is required.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and activities simultaneously is required.
- Ability to work well and efficiently in an extremely fast-paced and busy environment is required.
- Must be able to work and coordinate with minimal supervision on key projects with tight deadlines and under pressure.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office Suite (Word/Outlook/Power Point/Excel) is required.
- Ability to troubleshoot basic information technology (IT) problems within internal computer systems including hardware, software and peripherals, videoconference and similar equipment is required.
- Ability to establish and maintain good contacts in a wide variety of organizations and with a variety of vendors to facilitate the work of FCS Brazil is required.
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities and work well in a team environment is required.
- Typing Level II (30-59wpm) is required.
When fully qualified, U. S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) and U.S. Veterans will be given preference. Qualified USEFM applicants who are also U.S. Veterans will receive the highest preference. Therefore, it is essential that the candidate specifically address the required qualifications above in the application.
Additional Selection Criteria (see Appendix A for definitions)
- Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, continuity and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- Current employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
- Current Ordinarily Resident employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report are not eligible to apply.
- Currently employed US Citizen EFMs who hold an Family Member Appointment (FMA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment.
- Currently employed NORs hired under a Personal Services Agreement (PSA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment unless currently hired into a position with a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
Interested candidates for this position must submit the following for consideration or their application will not be considered:
- Applicants who claim EFM or MOH status must include in the cover letter accompanying their application that they are claiming EFM/MOH status, their present nationality, and name and employing section/agency of their sponsoring family member.
- Application for U.S. Federal Employment DS 174 (available from the Mission website); or
- A current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information found on the DS-174 (see Appendix B for more information). plus
- Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans Preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application. Candidates who claim conditional U.S. Veterans Preference must submit documentation confirming eligibility for a conditional preference in hiring with their application.
- Any other documentation (e.g., essays, certificates, awards) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
Submit application to
Email: email@example.com with vacancy title Administrative Assistant (Full Performance Level)
Point of Contact
Human Resources Office – Gustavo Maciel
Av. das Nações, SES 801, Lote 3,
CEP: 70403-900, Brasília, DF.
Telephone: (61) 3312-7040
Fax: (61) 3312-7641